Uk plates foreign cars

Laws for Foreign cars in Spain

Laws for foreign cars: ITV, UK Plates, No Claims Bonus, Trailers and Green Cards

What are the laws regarding motor vehicle insurance in Spain?

Spanish Law is similar to the road traffic laws in other countries throughout member states of the European Union – all vehicles using the roads must be insured for third party liability risks. All european motor policies fully comply with the Regulations of all EU territories.

If I live in Spain can I drive a UK registered vehicle legally?

Yes, providing you have not applied for and received “Residencia”, you can bring your UK registered vehicle with you when you come to Spain but, by law you can only use it for three months in any calendar year in Spain.

Any Non-resident who change to resident status after three months must either import the car into Spain, which can be expensive and complicated, and re-register onto Spanish plates.

Do I need to produce an MOT Certificate before I can obtain insurance for my UK registered vehicle?

Sight of an MOT is not need by the insurer (or its Spanish equivalent ITV) before we insure you but there is a strict policy requirement that your vehicle is roadworthy at all times and you should also comply with the law in which your vehicle is being used. Any breach of this could invalidate your insurance cover and, failure to produce a certificate of roadworthiness may render you liable to prosecution and /or a fine by the authorities.

It is now becoming common in Spain for UK vehicles to be tested at the local ITV (MOT equivalent) centre. But remember the ITV certificate will only be valid in Spain, so if you travel back to the UK you will need a MOT certificate.

Am I able to transfer my No Claim Discount from my previous Insurer?

If you have a UK no claims bonus or one from your home country this can be used in Spain and insurers will accept written proof from your previous insurer.

Can I tow a trailer or caravan?

Yes if they are not being used for commercial purposes and are within the limits allowed by law. A small additional premium will be charged.

Your policy provides cover for legal liabilities while you are towing, but it doesn’t provide cover for damage to the trailer itself or the items being towed, nor does it provide cover whilst the trailer is detached from your vehicle. We recommend that you arrange separate cover for these risks.

What if I want to take my vehicle outside of Spain?

If you are travelling abroad especially to the UK for a period longer than a month please tell us how long you are travelling for. We will be able to issue a green card as proof of European insurance.

Your policy provides free foreign cover for Temporary visits to:

  • Any country that is a member of the European Union
  • The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands
  • Finland , Norway and Switzerland

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

We provide information to ensure and protect your family, your properties or your business.

Bsure Insurance